Fine Art work that I have produced in the past has primarly utilised the medium of photography both from the perspective of its technology and language.
I move happliy between film-based and digital processes and use a range of digital photographic and simulation tools in the communicating of the concepts involved. From the mid 1990s there has been much discussion about the impact of digital processes on photgraphic practice but of more interest to me have been the discourse in relation to photography and reality and its status as a medium. Many of the sweeping declarations with regard to photography’s death in the light of the arrival of new media have been complicated by the fact that lens-based image processes have been in evidence for centuries in art practice. This was a primary thrust of my masters study which I completed in 2003.
The work I am currently researching has shifted emphasis toward the formal aspects of narrative which were prominant in all the photographic work that I have produced to date. Now however I am interested in integrating a range of media and using interaction and affective computing in an investigative approach to emergent narrative.
A selection of artwork is available here.
Fine Art Exhibitions
- 2012 Difference Engine, West Cork Arts Centre, Skibereen, Cork
- 2012 Curator of Boundary Work II, Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork
- 2010 The Taylor, Tyndall National Institute, Cork
- 2010 Pulse, Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork
- 2010 Curator of Boundary Work I, Wandesford Quay Gallery, Cork
- 2003 MA Exhibition, CCAD, Cork City
- 2000 University College Cork, Cork City.
- 2000 Tig Filí Gallery, Cork City.
- 1999 Darklight Film Festival, Temple Bar, Dublin.
- 1999 Intermedia 99, Triskel Arts Centre Cork, Tobin Street, Cork.
- 1998 International Print Show, Stoke-on-Trent, England.
- 1998 International Print Show, Temple Bar, Dublin.
- 1999 Shaken Not Stirred, Maison de la Photo, Paris.
- 1997 Shaken Not Stirred, Musseé d’Art, Chalon sur Seine (near Lyon).
- Shaken Not Stirred, Künstlerwerkstatt Bahnhof Westend, Karl-Hofer-Gesellschaft, Spandauer Damm 89, 14059 Berlin.
- Shaken Not Stirred, Museo dell’Automobile, Corso Unitá d’Italia,40, Torino, Italy.
- Nano, Bodega Bar, Cork.
- Shaken Not Stirred, Galerie Nei Liicht, Rue Dominique Lang, Á Dudelange, Luxemborg.
- 1996 Crawford Art Gallery, Emmet Place, Cork.
- Shaken Not Stirred, Hôpital Ephémere, Rue Carpeaux, Paris.
- 1995 Fugitive, Triskel Arts Centre Cork, Tobin Street, Cork. (Solo)
- Fugitive, Limerick City Art Gallery, Pery Square, Limerick. (Solo)
- 1994 EV+A International‘94 – selected by Jan Hoet (Director, Museum Van Hedendaagse Kunst, Ghent).